Let's Chit Chat

Hi. I'm Pam. I don't love to cook but like to eat and to serve simple comfort food like my mom used to make. I'm especially partial to recipes that are big hits with families or at parties so read on for great ideas, cooking tips and recipes.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Chicken Appetizer and Faux Spaghetti

Here's two great recipes I've used or shared in the last week during this busy holiday season. And, of course, they are easy to make and liked by my family. This first one is a real crowd pleaser appetizer. I had gotten a variation of the recipe from a gal at work years ago and just gave it to Wendy to take to Beth's party. Then multiple friends asked for it at the party. It takes minutes to make and is a real hit when served warm with tortilla chips.

GREAT FOOD GIFT IDEA - Purchase a festive dip with spreader, or a chip and dip set and tape this recipe onto the wrapping paper or place in the card. They'll appreciate the great recipe as much as the cute gift.



Hot Chicken and Cheese Dip
1 large can shredded chicken
8 oz. cream cheese softened
8 oz. mayo
(or 4 each mayo and sour cream)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 (4 oz.) can green chilis, drained
1 (4 oz.) can chopped jalapenos (optional)

Mix all ingredients. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Jalapenos make it pretty hot so use to desired flame factor. This is a really forgiving recipe. For instance, I’ve used it with just mayo and no cream cheese and it turned out just fine. Keep these items in your pantry for when guests drop by.


And this next one is great for a quick dinner - especially during the holiday crunch when no one wants to make yet another decision . This one was great for our family last week when everyone was racing around. it's even better the next day for leftovers.

Quick and Easy Faux Spaghetti
1 to 1.5 lbs. cooked hamburger (browned and drained)
1 cup uncooked macaroni noodles
2 small cans V8 juice or 1 can tomato soup
1 can cheese soup
1 cup water
1/2 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. oregono

Mix all ingredients and pour into baking dish (like 9 x 12 pyrex.) Bake uncovered at 350 for one hour. (Is it just me or does it seem like 90% of recipes are baked at 350?). This recipe is a good one to make ahead of time and refrigerate.

Feel free to add chopped green peppers, celery and/or onions. As you know about me, my kids are picky eaters so we don't add a whole lot of added veggies. Also the reason I like to use V8 juice instead of just soup or tomato sauce.

That's it for today. Next up, I'm making one of my all time favorites, beef barley soup. I'll share that recipe as soon as I'm done. We're just finishing up the prime rib now and then that bone is going right into the soup pot.


Ciao for now!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home