Let's Chit Chat

Hi. I'm Pam. I don't love to cook but like to eat and to serve simple comfort food like my mom used to make. I'm especially partial to recipes that are big hits with families or at parties so read on for great ideas, cooking tips and recipes.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Peppermint Bark Makes Good Use of all Those Leftover Candy Canes

I had some yummy peppermint bark at Kelly's house during the pre-holiday snow day. I'm neither a peppermint fan nor a white chocolate fan so it was surprising to me how addicting that bark was for me. I've since then discovered that you can subsitute dark chocolate (or a swirl of the white and the dark). I may eat the entire batch myself if I had that combination in front of me.

We have at least 20 extra candy canes floating around here post-holiday so my family and friends will be enjoying lots of peppermint bark a la Coles.

You know my preference is toward homemade simple foods but this one has to top the charts for simplicity. And think how much you're saving instead of buying it at a specialty store!

Simple Peppermint Bark Recipe
1 package white chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips (or half a bag of each if you want to swirl)
4 crushed candy canes
1 T. peppermint extract (not mint -PEPPERMINT - otherwise it'll taste like toothpaste)

Instructions: melt chocolate chips per package instructions. I did mine in the microwave and it took less than 2 minutes. Keep a close eye on it though as microwave temps vary. Once melted, stir in the peppermint extract. Spread it out on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Place (or smush would be a more descriptive term) the crushed peppermint into the peppermint chocolate mixture. Place in a freezer - or outside if it's cold enough - for about 10 minutes to harden. Then just break it apart and start eating.

Also makes a great food gift. Buy some of those tins 80% off after the holiday and plan to make this next year.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home