Let's Chit Chat

Hi. I'm Pam. I don't love to cook but like to eat and to serve simple comfort food like my mom used to make. I'm especially partial to recipes that are big hits with families or at parties so read on for great ideas, cooking tips and recipes.

Monday, June 2, 2008

Sweet and Salty Spinach Salad

If you like foods that combine sweet and salty, you will enjoy this spinach salad. I love to get popcorn at the movies and eat it with red licorice so I knew I'd like it before I even finished prepping. I usually recommend buying bottled dressing but this one is so simple, it's worth just whipping up a small batch fresh for your salad. Without further delay, here is the recipe:

Spinach, Strawberry and Bacon Salad
1 package baby spinach leaves (6 oz.)
12 package fresh strawberries (8 oz.)
2 chopped hard boiled eggs
8 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled (I use microwavable - just cook for about 30 seconds)
1/2 english cucumber (or 1 whole regular one)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sliced green onions
Combine ingredients and chill. Recommend using homemade poppyseed dressing

Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing
1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 t. poppy seeds
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. ground mustard (dry - it's a spice)
Combine in a plastic container with tight lid. Shake. This makes enough for 2 - 3 salads so either refrigerate the remainder, or make a smaller batch.

Michigan Based Companies
I got an email recently that said:
"In a recent issue of Hour Detroit magazine, I read the following quote: 'If we all spent $10 a week on Michigan products, we could put $36 million every week back into the state's economy'. That was powerful to me. Every day I hear people bemoan the state of Michigan's economy and here was a simple and impactful thing that each of us could do to help. I contacted a woman named Jeanne Lipe at the Michigan Agritourist Department who confirmed that the numbers were correct."

Although I didn't confirm the source, it does stand to reason that supporting Michigan based companies would provide some relief to our depressed economy. Good thought starters!

One new website that I worked with recently has deals on Michigan products and tips for Michigan related things. It's called gemontheweb. Just try to keep it in mind on your next grocery shopping trip. The bottom line is that every little bit helps.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home