Let's Chit Chat

Hi. I'm Pam. I don't love to cook but like to eat and to serve simple comfort food like my mom used to make. I'm especially partial to recipes that are big hits with families or at parties so read on for great ideas, cooking tips and recipes.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Encrusted Salmon and Orzo Salad

You'll almost never find a blog on cooking fish from me because I'm just not fond of the stuff. (I know, I know - it is good for me)

When my husband has his choice though, he likes to grill salmon or swordfish. The kids actually caught a couple huge salmon last year in Lake Michigan when we were vacationing in Door County, WI. They were better than most because they were so darned fresh.

Anyway, my husband and his brother tried something new this time that tasted great (if you like fish). They got the inspiration from the flavors they like at restaurants. The short of it is they spread a dijon mustard all over the fish and then rolled it in crushed pistachios. They grilled them for about 20 minutes I believe but best to use that as a guide and keep testing the fish when you cook it yourself.

Now onto the orzo salad that is one of my summertime favorites. First let me say that mine is extra yummy due to an olive oil that my mom hooked me on. It's lemon grass oil from KAMI. If you can find it in one of your stores, buy it! I had to order it online and ended up with 6 (which I split with mom) but it is SO worth it. Another option would be to put the fresh herb in or use the dried spice. DO NOT use lemon flavored olive oil. The lemon grass oil is a completely different, light, fresh flavor. Regular olive oil works just fine too. (my theory continues to be that you shouldn't ever make a special trip to the store for one ingredient)

Orzo Salad Recipe
1/2 lb. orzo (it's half the little box - you'll be surprised how much this makes)
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 english cucumber (or 1 regular cuke) peeled
1 package crumbled feta
1/2 cup fresh basil or cilantro or 2 T. of the dried spice
1/2 cup olive oil (I used the lemon grass)
1/4 cup vinegar (I used a blend from the grocery store - basil and oregono)
Pitted black olives, chopped to taste (I probably used 20 of them)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the orzo in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly, stir and let cool. Combine with remaining ingredients and toss.

TIP: As for the cucumbers, I think it's fun to peel them instead of cutting them. Do it just like you'd peel off the skin but peel the cucumber itself. The "ribbons" are a little something different and most people that don't like cukes don't mind them because they don't have the seeds.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home