Let's Chit Chat

Hi. I'm Pam. I don't love to cook but like to eat and to serve simple comfort food like my mom used to make. I'm especially partial to recipes that are big hits with families or at parties so read on for great ideas, cooking tips and recipes.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

White Bean Chicken Chili in a Pinch

We are in the midst of a power outage from the storms that pummelled the midwest. The initial storm was the craziest thing I have ever seen. The skies got black and then within five minutes, we happened to look out as a wall of rain was blasting at us. My son was sitting on the porch under a big golf umbrella (like a fort)and we had to scream at him to run in. He had no clue anything was going on outside. He got in just in time with the rain coming in sideways behind him. (In the meantime, my daughter felt the need to run back out in it to grab her new jelly shoes from Target.) Fortunately, everyone is fine but we have no power.

Since we have a generator, I'm blessed to have a working refrigerator and a couple outlets that I can use. Each morning when I make my pot of coffee, I'm especially thankful! Since I can't use the stove or oven, I decided to find something I could make in the crock pot. I'm at the public library typing this but I think it is going to be a tasty compromise for white bean chicken chili. The main difference is that I had a pound of chicken sausage in the freezer so that is substituted for chicken. Lucky me, I had the rest of the ingredients in the pantry.

White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe
1 can white beans (rinse very well and drain)
1 lb. chicken sausage, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 large vidalia onion, chopped
2 small cans chopped green chilis (found in mexican food aisle at any grocer)
2 T. cumin
1 1/2 t. ground oregono
1/2 t. cayenne pepper

Crock pot for 8-10 on low or 4-5 on high. Serve with tortilla chips, monterrey jack cheese, sour cream and/or salsa.

This should last us a day or two but hoping for power by Friday!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home